[R] boot function returns the same results every time - there appears to be not resampling of the original data.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 30 14:55:54 CET 2009

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, John Sorkin wrote:

> R 2.8.1

Rather old: have you updated package boot since?

> windows XP
>
> I am trying to learn how to use the boot function to perform a
> bootstrap of a regression. I have written a short trial program,
> shown below. Clearly I have done something wrong as the output of
> each of the 100 bootstrap values for the regression are exactly the
> same - there does not appear to be any bootstrap respampling!. What
> have I done wrong?

First, sim="parametric" does not give 'bootstrap respampling', so I
wonder if you have consulted the book for which this is support
software?  You will find it hard to use boot without a clear grasp of
the underlying concepts.

For bootstrapping a regression (and why you almost certainly do not
want to do that) see the examples in MASS.

You clearly missed the following on the help page:

      For the parametric bootstrap it is necessary for the user to
      specify how the resampling is to be conducted.  The best way of
      accomplishing this is to specify the function ‘ran.gen’ which will
      return a simulated data set from the observed data set and a set
      of parameter estimates specified in ‘mle’.

The default ran.gen() function just returns the data ....