[R] Help with makeClusters for Snow

Ishwor Gurung ishwor.gurung at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 09:00:59 CET 2009

2009/12/24 SVM <szaman at myway.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Would it help if I was to install Ubuntu, and try loading it there? I've
> seen quite a few comments about running rmpi on Linux, through google
> search.
>
> Do you know if I have to install any specific packages/libraries before
> trying to install RMpi?

Yes. You need MPI library and binaries before proceeding with Rmpi.

On Ubuntu 9.04 -
$ aptitude show r-cran-rmpi
[...]
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libopenmpi1, r-base-core (>= 2.8.0), openmpi-bin
Suggests: r-cran-rsprng
 This CRAN package provides an interface to the MPI (Message-Passing
Interface) API. It also provides an interactive R slave environment in
 which distributed statistical computing can be carried out.
[...]

I'd recommend OpenMPI over LAM/MPI as the latter is a bit outdated [1]

[1] LAM/MPI is now in a maintenance mode. Bug fixes and critical
patches are still being applied, but little real "new" work is
happening in LAM/MPI. This is a direct result of the LAM/MPI Team
spending the vast majority of their time working on our
next-generation MPI implementation -- Open MPI.

--
Regards,
Ishwor Gurung