[R] Cohen's kappa, unequal score ranges

Scot W. McNary smcnary at charm.net
Wed Dec 23 16:41:58 CET 2009

Julia,

I was able to get your toy data to work, using the n * 2 data frame,
which is what ckappa takes as input.

 > chk <- data.frame(matrix(c(
+    3,   4,
+    4,   3,
+    2,   1,
+    2,   1,
+    5,   1,
+    2,   4), byrow = TRUE, ncol = 2))
 > chk
  X1 X2
1  3  4
2  4  3
3  2  1
4  2  1
5  5  1
6  2  4

 > sk <- ckappa(chk)
 > sk
$table
  1 2 3 4 5
1 0 0 0 0 0
2 2 0 0 1 0
3 0 0 0 1 0
4 0 0 1 0 0
5 1 0 0 0 0

$kappa
[1] -0.0909091

 > str(sk)
List of 2
 $ table: num [1:5, 1:5] 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 ...
  ..- attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 2
 $ kappa: num -0.091

Hope this helps,

Scot