[R] simple main effect.

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 18:09:22 CET 2009

Hi Or,
I understand your question (and am not sure what the confusion is
about actually). Just like you said, you want to know the effect of A
at B=1, and the effect of A at B=2. In this case, you want to know if
drug has a significant effect for those with strain one, and whether
drug has a significant effect for those with strain two. So the good
part is, I understand the question.

The bad part is that unfortunately I don't know how to do it with
aov(). Also, I'm not a stats guru and could easily be wrong about the
following advice. You've been warned!

If you didn't have a mixed model, I would tell you to run the model
using lm() twice, setting drug = 1 as the reference group the first
time, and drug = 2 as the reference group the second time, but this
won't work in your case. The best I can offer is a suggestion to run
the model separately for each level of drug. Note that you can and
should use the error term from the overall model though -- you will
have to do this "by hand" (just divide  MS_effect from the subset
model by MS_error from the full model, and evaluate using df_error
from the overall model). So basically, I'm suggesting that you do

Data.drug1 <- subset(Data, drug == "1")
aov.model.drug.1 <- aov(dependent~(exposure*strain) +
Error(subject/exposure) + (strain), data=Data.drug1)
summary(aov.model.drug.1)

Data.drug2 <- subset(Data, drug == "2")
aov.model.drug.2 <- aov(dependent~(exposure*strain) +
Error(subject/exposure) + (strain), data=Data.drug2)
summary(aov.model.drug.2)

Good luck!

-Ista