[R] Doubts about ADE-4

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 15:02:36 CET 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 6:49 AM, Diogo B. Provete wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having some troubles in using the ADE-4 package. I want to
> analyze data
> for the Outlying Mean Index in the function 'niche'. I've got two
> matrixes:
> one for environmental data and the other for species abundance data.
> But to
> implement the analysis, as I understand it, I need to put tocheger
> these two
> matrixes in one, as in the example provided with the package. Un
> fortunately
> I don't know how to do this. Could anyone help me?

Not familiar with the application you are rather vaguely describing,
but the two functions for "putting two matrices together" would be
rbind and cbind depending on whether you want them bound "side by
side" or "on top of each other".

(I am reasonably sure that there is no ADE-4 package. This is R ...
capitalization and punctuation matter ... please spell package names
precisely as they are named.)

For the life of me I cannot see how one uses cbind or rbind for
arguments to "niche". It takes as arguments the results of functions
that create duality diagrams. The example data set on the niche help
page is a 3 element list of dataframes each with 30 rows. So you
should should be asking how to create lists of dataframes (not
matrices) in a manner that parallels the output of :

library(ade4)
data(doubs)
str(doubs)

You should also be providing a much more complete description of your
R objects, at a minimum the results of str on them.

> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> Respectfully,
> Diogo Borges Provete