[R] fortune-like FAQ search

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 16 20:11:40 CET 2009

Dear list,

I'm not so familiar with the internals of the fortunes package, but I
really like the interface. I was wondering if someone had implemented
a similar functionality to parse the entries of the R FAQ <
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html >. Say, if I was to
answer a question  "Why does my lattice graphic fail to produce an
output in this function?", I might try:

library(rfaq)
faq("lattice")
## or if I were a number kind of person
faq(722)

The database could be split into "windows only", etc.

Should this approach prove useful, one could even imagine using this
rfaq database as the original source to produce the current html page.
The infrastructure might also be of interest for other packages which
could provide their own database.

Just a thought anyway,

Best regards,

baptiste