[R] rcart - classification and regression trees (CART)

Katie N knishimura at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:27:13 CET 2009

Hi,
I am trying to use CART to find an ideal cut-off value for a simple
diagnostic test (ie when the test score is above x, diagnose the condition).
When I put in the model

fit=rpart(outcome ~ predictor1(TB144), method="class", data=data8)

sometimes it gives me a tree with multiple nodes for the same predictor (see
below for example of tree with 1 or multiple nodes).  Is there a way to tell
it to make only 1 node?  Or is it safe to assume that the cut-off value on
the primary node is the ideal cut-off?

Thanks!
Katie

http://n4.nabble.com/file/n964970/smartDNA%2BCART%2B-%2BTB144n.jpg