[R] subtitle in Hmisc xYplot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 15:40:26 CET 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Joe King wrote:

> Ok so I am trying to add a subtitle to my xYplot using Hmisc and I
> have some
> dummy code of
>
> x<-seq(1,10,1)
> y<-rev(seq(1,10,1))
> ci<-y*.10
> ciupper<-y+ci
> cilower<-y-ci
>
> this code works fine:
>
> xYplot(Cbind(y,ciupper,cilower)~x, type=c("b"),plot.points = TRUE,
> method='filled bands', main='main title')
>
> but when I add sub=. at the end and use this

Where did you find it documented that "sub" was an argument that would
be interpreted as a subtitle for either xYplot or xyplot? (You may be
unaware that there are separate graphics systems in R and that
arguments for base graphics will not be recognized by Lattice graphics.

> xYplot(Cbind(y,ciupper,cilower)~x, type=c("b"),plot.points = TRUE,
> method='filled bands', main='main title', sub='subtitle')
>

> I get an error saying subscript out of bounds, any help?

Read the help pages? The method I use to get a second line under my
"main title" is to use "\n" to force a line break. If you want the
sort of subtitle that one gets in base graphics you will need to be
more clear.

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please stop sending HTML formatted material. It takes extra time to
edit out the wasted space.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories