[R] how to replace a single backward slash with a double backwardslash?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sun Dec 13 23:24:52 CET 2009

The input string "c:\test" contains no backslash
character, nor a "t" character.  It contains
   cee
   colon
   tab ("\t")
   ee
   ess
   tee
If you output the string using cat() you will see
the tab action and the missing "t".

"\t" means tab, "\n" newline, "\r" carriage return,
"\52" octal 52 (asterisk in ASCII encoding), "\x2a"
hexadecimal 2a (also asterisk), etc.  ?Syntax may
give all the details.

If you want to change tabs to the 2-character sequences
backslash t, then do
  > gsub("\t", "\\\\t", "c:\test")
  [1] "c:\\test"
  > cat(.Last.value, "\n")