[R] random effects in mixed model not that 'random'

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Sun Dec 13 16:41:02 CET 2009

I think what you are finding is that calling a grouping variable a
"random effect" is not the same thing as it actually being a random effect.

An effect is really only random when it is chosen randomly. Just
because you don't want to deal with it as a fixed effect (e.g., too
many levels) doesn't mean it qualifies as a random effect. This
sloppiness in common in mixed modeling.

In your example of student scores, you mentioned the schools were a
random effect, because they were a grouping variable. This is not
true. Schools have a strong fixed effect. They are also not chosen
randomly in your student.

How to resolve your problem? Two methods: 1) Stop modeling the
grouping variable as a random effect, when it's not: Model it as a
fixed effect; 2) Do the experiment right: a) List the schools in
their population. b) Chose the schools to be used by random sampling
from that population. Then you will find schools really is a random effect.

What you have discovered is called "selection bias". It is common in
unrandomized studies.