[R] MLE for a t distribution

Barbara Gonzalez barbara.p.gonzalez at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 22:06:18 CET 2009

Thank you.

I actually found fitdistr() in the package MASS, that "estimates" the
df, but it does a very bad job. I know that the main problem is that
the t distribution has a lot of local maxima, and of course, when
k->infty we have the Normal distribution, which has nice and easy to
obtain MLEs.

I will try re-parametrizing k, but I doubt this will solve the problem
with the multiple local maxima.

I would like to implement something like the EM algorithm to go around
this problem, but I don't know how to do that.

Barbara