[R] Upgrading To 2.10 from 2.6.2

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Tue Dec 8 14:38:56 CET 2009

Hello

I have a Linux machine (Ubuntu 8.04 hardy, Gcc version 4.2.4
(i486-linux-gnu) currently running R 2.6.2. I'd like to upgrade to 2.10.

First Question):  What is the appropriate way to remove the old version of
R?

Part 2.
 After downloading  r-base_2.10.0.orig.tar.gz and opening the archive. I
ran the ./configure routine.

It failed claiming that it could not find the F77 compiler.

My sys admin and I searched for a compiler, but have not succeeded in
finding one compatible for Ubuntu 8.04.

2nd Question:
Would you be so kind and point me towards one?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282