[R] SAS "datalines" or "cards" statement equivalent in R?

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Mon Dec 7 16:53:47 CET 2009

Regarding the various methods people have suggested, what if a typical
tab-delimited data line looks like:

      SMS11000000000000001 1990 M01 688.0

and the SAS INPUT statement is

    INPUT survey $ 1-2 seasonal $ 3 state $ 4-5 area $ 6-10 supersector
$ 11-12 @13 industry $8. datatype $ 21-22  year period $ value footnote $ ;

Note that most data lines have no footnote item, as in the sample.

Here (I think) we'd want all the character variables to be read as
factors, possibly "year" as a date, and "value" as numeric.

    Marsh