[R] Announce: edtdbg, integrating R's debug() with your text editor

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Mon Dec 7 08:39:06 CET 2009

I've just developed edtdbg, a small package that integrates R's debug()
with one's text editor.

Excerpt from the README file:

   Goal

   The debug() function in R is primitive.   My goal was to make it more
   usable by integrating it with one's text editor.  Hence I wrote the
   package here, edtdbg.  Its features include:

       * As one steps from line to line of code using the debugger, the
         cursor in the editor will always follow, i.e. it will alway be on
         whatever line the debugger is on.
       * One can enable automatic display of user-specified variables.
       * One can quickly and conveniently set "breakpoints."

   Currently the package is implemented only for Vim.  In addition, the
   second and third features require the vim-r plugin for Vim.  Emacs/ESS
   users should easily be able to convert the code; some of the machinery
   is already in the code and in the instructions below.

I'm placing the current version of the package at:

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/R/edtdbg/edtdbg.tar.gz

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/R/edtdbg/edtdbg.zip

Please give me your comments.  I probably will upload to CRAN at some
point, possibly after an ESS guru contributes the ESS code. :-)

A note on my Rdsm package for parallel R:  The new, much improved
version is just about ready.  I'll be uploading Rdsm to CRAN very soon.

Norm Matloff