[R] Refresh with default x11() cairo

Marc Chiarini (Tufts) marc.chiarini at tufts.edu
Sat Dec 5 18:25:25 CET 2009

Greetings R community:

Since R 2.9.0+ I have noticed that when I use the default cairo x11()
device, if I obscure a device window (or switch virtual desktops), the
window does not refresh.  I need to move it or resize it to make it
redraw.  This behavior did not happen before 2.9.0.  It also does not
occur currently when using the Xlib type in x11.

Now, I should make clear that I am not running on a machine under my
administrative control, so it is entirely possible that something
changed in the default X Window System configuration that prevents Cairo
from refreshing.  I would like to ask if anyone has seen this behavior
before and if so, have you found the cause and/or solution?  Thank you.

Possibly useful info:

Linux sunfire47 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Oct 27 11:28:30 EDT 2009
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)

Name        : cairo                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.2.4                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 5.el5                         Build Date: Fri 18 Jan 2008
04:55:11 PM EST

Regards,
Marc