[R] paste adjacent elements matching string

Gray Calhoun gray.calhoun at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 14:37:01 CET 2009

A different approach than those other people listed would be to change
the vector into a matrix (by setting its dimension, if you don't need
to keep the original vector) and then applying paste along one of the
dimensions.  Obviously, you'd need to pad the end of the vector with
NAs or empty strings.  Since you have a working solution, I won't
write code... but this approach might be a little easier to scale if,
for example, you need to concatenate every three elements of the
vector.
Best,
Gray