[R] pdf pagesize

Thomas Steiner finbref.2006 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:19:52 CET 2009

Hi,
when I create huge pdf files (width is 6meters) with R I cannot open
them in Adobe Acrobat reader (I tried version 9 and some lower). I use
pdf() of grDevices version 2.8.1 and CairoPDF from Cairo version
1.4-4. When I add the (perhaps since pdf version 1.7 pagesizes of more
than 200in are possible?) version="1.7" I get an error ("ungültige PDF
Version") from pdf() and no error from CairoPDF() (but it is ignored).
I use R version 2.8.1.
How can I make version 1.7 pdf files to make these big files view- and
printable?
Thanks
Thomas

PS: To make it quick, the IMHO crutial part of the ?pdf help:
The version argument declares the version of PDF that gets produced.
The version must be at least 1.4 for semi-transparent output to be
understood, and at least 1.3 if CID fonts are to be used: if these
features are used the version number will be increased (with a
warning). Specifying a low version number is useful if you want to
produce PDF output that can be viewed on older or non-Adobe PDF
viewers. (PDF 1.4 requires Acrobat 5 or later.)