[R] logical masking of a matrix converts it to a vector

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 4 22:15:11 CET 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 4:03 PM, Jorge Ivan Velez wrote:

> Hi Austin,
>
> What version of R are you using? It works for me for R 2.10.0
> Patched on Win
> XP Pro:
>
> R> a <- matrix(c(1, 2, 3, 4), nrow = 2)
> # [1] 1 3
> # [2] 2 4
> R> rmask <- c(TRUE, FALSE)
> R> a[rmask,]
> # [1] 1 3

Doesn't work on a Mac (admittedly not the latest version, but it's
only a month old.
 > b <- a[rmask, ]
 > colSums(b)
Error in colSums(b) : 'x' must be an array of at least two dimensions

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 Patched (2009-10-29 r50258)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.10.0