[R] Get back to the console with ssh access

Jakson A. Aquino jaksonaquino at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 11:44:12 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 02:23:18AM +0100, Timothée Poisot wrote:
> I am currently learning how to work with a new shared computer (a Mac pro) in our lab, that is dedicated to execute R code for large simulations (over a few days).
>
> We have a VNC option to remote control the computer, with a shared used session, but this is not really needed in most of the cases. I would like to do some ssh access.
>
> This is pretty straigthforward, and I am able to launch commands using
>
> R -e 'source("myfile.R")' &
>
> However, it could be useful to check the advancement of the computation from time to time, again via ssh.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

On Linux you can type in the terminal (I guess the command will
work in Mac too):

tail -f myfile.Rout

Then you hit Ctrl+C to stop tail from following myfile.Rout.

Another option would be the use of screen (again, this is a *nix
solution that may be available to Mac too). With screen you can
run R interactively detach the session, logout, come back and
reattach the session. But it seems that "tail -f" is what you
really needs since the R script is finished and you just need to
run it.

--
Jakson