[R] Re shorten str() output for long list

Charlotte Maia maiagx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 06:25:06 CET 2009

I doubt str is intended to work the way you want it to.
I certainly wouldn't use it that way.

The choice of data structure here is inappropriate, use a vector not a list.

If you absolutely must do what you are asking, then simply write your
own function. Use a heuristic for object length, say if less than 200
do such and such, otherwise do something else.

In regards to some of your other posts, I think the R documentation is
very good.
Have you ever tried writing software documentation? It's a lot of
work, which makes the R documentation in the standard packages quite
impressive.

If using a function for a subject area I'm not familiar with, I expect
the unexpected.

For mature software, the arguments section is extremely useful. Often
when I'm using a function I forget the exact arguments, so have to
look them up. For functions that I'm not familiar with, or unclear
about, then I read the details section. Sometimes I might read it
several times.

--
Charlotte Maia
http://sites.google.com/site/maiagx/home

(this is a response to the website, not the MIME digest)