[R] Naming conventions for R?

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Dec 4 04:04:29 CET 2009

pengyu.ut wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Sharpie <chuck at sharpsteen.net> wrote:
>> You should browse this thread:
>>
>>  http://n4.nabble.com/Google-s-R-Style-Guide-td901694.html#a901694
>>
>> It was a pretty thorough discussion of style different guides for R.
>
> Why variables has to be of the form some.variable but not some_variable?

That thread presents many, many different opinions-- I pointed you to it
because it covers this topic in depth and detail.  It is up to you to decide
for yourself what style to use.  Just because Google has published a style
guide doesn't mean you have to follow it and that thread provides lots of
commentary concerning which parts you may want to ignore as well as
presenting and discussing alternative styles.

Personally, I developed my style by mixing and matching elements of the
Google guide, Hadley's guide, a style document written by a member of the R
core team and several rules that I decided upon for myself. I think the
important thing is to pick a style and remain consistent with it-- while
reserving the freedom to make small incremental changes so that your
programming methods may evolve with the passage of time.

-Charlie