[R] count number of empty cells in a table/matrix/data.frame

maiya maja.zaloznik at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 17:28:42 CET 2009

Hi everyone!

This is a ridiculously simple problem, I just can't seem to find the
solution!

All I need is something equivalent to

sum(is.na(x))

but instead of counting missing values, to count empty cells (with a value
of 0).

A naive attempt with is.empty didn't work :)

Thanks!

Maja

Oh, and if the proposed solution would be to make all the empty cells into
missing cells, that is not an option! There are over 20,000,000 cells in my
table, and I don't think my computer is in the mood to store two such
objects!