[R] Replying to Posts Within Same Thread

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Dec 2 13:15:04 CET 2009

There is an issue which does not seem to have been raised yet in
this thread. In her original post, Charlotte Maia said she was
receiving messages in Digest form.

There are two Digest options: "Get MIME or Plain Text Digests?"
You can choose which one to use, if you opt for Digest format,
when setting your subscription options in the R-help configuration
page at

  https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/options/r-help

In a plain-text Digest, all the messages are bundled into a single
message. Therefore when you reply to one of these you have to edit
out everything except the bit you are replying to; and also the
"Thread-relevant" headers of the original messages will heve been
suppressed -- only headers for the Dugest message will be present,
and these will have nothing to do with the threads that the separate
original messages belonged to.

On the other hand, in a MIME Digest, each of the original messages
is attached as a separate attachment, along with its original headers.
A mail agent which is "MIME-Digest-aware" will allow the user to
open up each attachment separately, as a single message, and reply
to that. Then the mail agent *should* incorporate these headers,
including those which identify the thread.

So, if you use Digest format, choose MIME Digest, and use a mail
agent which works properly!

Ted.

On 02-Dec-09 11:51:32, John Sorkin wrote:
> I hit the reply all button on my Email client if I want the message
> to go both to the person who wrote the Email and the R listserver.
> John
>
> John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
> Baltimore VA Medical Center
> 10 North Greene Street
> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
> (Phone) 410-605-7119
> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)>>>
> Charlotte Maia <maiagx at gmail.com> 12/1/2009 10:42 PM >>>
> On 12/2/09, John Sorkin <jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu> wrote:
>> I don't know what you are doing wrong because I don't know exactly
>> what you are doing. I do know that I don't have your problem when I
>> simply reply to a message without touching the subject line.
>> John
>
> Could you clarify the notion of "simply reply".
> There is no obvious reply links in either the archive page, or the
> digest.
>
> In the case, where someone sends me an email, such have you have done,
> I can simply reply.
>
> However, in general this option is not available.
>
> --
> Charlotte Maia
> http://sites.google.com/site/maiagx/home

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861