[R] Best R text editors?

Vitalie S. vitosmail at rambler.ru
Mon Aug 31 15:39:58 CEST 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:25:38 +0200, Jim Lemon <jim at bitwrit.com.au> wrote:

> Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> Could someone give a brief and subjective overview of ESS. I notice
>> that many people use it, and many describe it as the tool for the
>> power user. As far as I'm concerned, I've once again looked at Emacs
>> (after couple of years) and I still don't feel like using it for my
>> editing purposes.
>>
> Hi Liviu,
> I was going to steer clear of this one, as my favorite editor (NEdit)
> has become mildly incompatible with my favorite window manager (KDE) on
> my favorite operating system (Linux) and I have sadly taken to using
> KWrite, hoping that things will get better. Still, one must not get
> stuck in a rut, so I decided to download Emacs and try it again. Twenty
> four megabytes poorer, I find that things are much the same. Emacs still
> has that annoying trait of being determinedly incompatible with anything
> else, even if the conventions are quite sensible. Thus most of my
> keyboard shortcuts that I use all the time just don't work. Do I want to
> learn Emacs shortcuts so that I will hit the wrong key shortcuts on all
> my other applications? No way.

Just customize Emacs to use your shortcuts - a couple of hours and you are
done. Probably your "standard shortcuts" are all already there (CUA mode
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CuaMode)

> As far as the connection to R goes, I tried unsuccessfully some time
> back to write a general purpose function that would connect any editor
> that could send a block of text back to R and have it evaluated.

Emacs has dozens of ways to send text to process and much much more - it
will take you years to implement a fraction of that by yourself. Don't
rack our finger, move to ESS!

Vitalie