[R] CHAID in R

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu.ac.at
Sat Aug 29 02:41:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Arup wrote:

> Hi..I am trying to run CHAID in R..I have installed the sofyware Party and
> trying to use the function ctree() to carry out the analysis. but I am
> getting the following message Error in terms.default(formula, data = data) :
> no terms component

Without a simple reproducible example (as the posting guide tells you)
it's hard to say what went wrong for you.

> . I am having some Likert scale variable where I have variables like
> "Overall satisfaction"(Dependent Variable),"Product quality", Brand
> image,Warranty(Independent variable) etc..

ctree() can handle this situation appropriately, see
    vignette("party", package = "party")
for more details and worked examples.

> Now can anyone tell me how to run
> CHAID in this case..what would be the formula? Thanks in Advance..

CTree is similar in spirit to CHAID but not the same. However, there is
the CHAID package on R-Forge (as pointed out previously, thanks to Max).

CTree is more flexible and can deal with more types of variables, e.g., it
would be possible to use linear-by-linear type tests instead of plain
Chi-squared tests for ordinal variables.

hth,