[R] Rcmdr installalation under Viata gives a warning. Do I need to do anything?

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Sat Aug 29 09:36:14 CEST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 21:39:41 -0400 "John Sorkin"
<Jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu> wrote:

JS> Windows Vista
JS> R 2.9.1
JS>
JS> When trying to install Rcmdr I get the message shown below. What
JS> does it mean, do I need to do anything?
JS>
JS> The downloaded packages are in
JS>         C:\Users\John
JS> Sorkin\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpRCLbhe\downloaded_packages updating
JS> HTML package descriptions Warning message:
JS> In file.create(f.tg) :
JS>   cannot create file
JS> 'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-29~1.1/doc/html/packages.html', reason 'Permission
JS> denied'

Vista does not allow normal Users to write into the program folder. So
either you run R with admin rights (right click, then run as
administrator) or you circumvent this by installing R into your User
directory like into

C:\Users\John Sorkin\R

hth
Stefan