[R] Panel Data Analysis (PLM) - Fixed Effects - "cannot allocate vector of length"

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Fri Aug 28 10:16:23 CEST 2009

Hello Peter. Sorry, I was on vacation. I hope my answer is still of some
use to you.

Strictly speaking, this is not a 'plm' problem. As you guessed, you're
hitting memory limits in R. See

??memory

and more specifically

?Memory
?Memory-limits

to see whether you can increase them.

Re 'plm' functions, it is possible that we used an inefficient solution
here, and that the code be made more efficient in the future. We'll keep
this on our list and see if we ever come up with a better memory
management for 2-way FEs. The problem actually never surfaced because
people seldom estimate models with so many FEs: actually, with such big
samples, the independent sampling assumptions underlying RE estimators
often look plausible.

HTH,
Giovanni

Giovanni Millo