[R] adding factor scores back to an incomplete dataset...

David G. Tully d-tully at u.northwestern.edu
Tue Aug 25 21:45:51 CEST 2009

I am sure there is a simple way to do the following, but i haven't been
able to find it. I am hoping a merciful soul on R-help could point me in
the right direction.

I am doing a factor analysis on survey data with missing values. to do
this, I run:

FA1<-factanal(na.omit(DATA), factors = X, rotation = 'oblimin', scores =
'regression')

Now that I have my factors and factor scores, I want to add those scores
back to my original dataset so I can plot factor scores by demographics.
However, when I try to add the scores back to the original data frame,
the variables are of different lengths.

Is there a way to subset from my original data set that will work with
factanal() and preserve the original rows or that will allow me to
append the factor scores back onto the original dataset with the proper
rows and NAs where there could be no data?

Again, I apologize if I am missing something basic. I am a self taught R
user and couldn't find an answer to this question.

Thanks in advance,
   David