[R] Trying something for fun...

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Sat Aug 22 19:57:05 CEST 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Noah Silverman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For fun, I'm trying to throw some horse racing data into either an svm or lrm
> model.  Curious to see what comes out as there are so many published papers
> on this.
>
> One thing I don't know how to do is to standardize the probabilities by race.

This sounds closer to the conditional logit model.

However, if I recall correctly there is an assumption that in the models
of choice literature is stated something like 'independence of
alternatives that are unavailable'.  That assumption might not hold in a
horse race where the speed at which a horse runs may depend on what horses
she is running against.

See

 	?survival:::clogit

and

@article{mcfadden1974conditional,
   title={{Conditional logit analysis of qualitative choice behavior}},
   author={McFadden, D.},
   journal={Frontiers in econometrics},
   volume={8},
   pages={105--142},
   year={1974}
}

BTW, Professor McFadden has a quintessentially American biography:

  http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/2000/mcfadden-autobio.html

He mentions his personal background in farming and awards won for his
'sheep and geese', but alas does not mention horses or racing.

HTH,

Chuck