[R] Video demo of using svSocket with data.table

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Aug 21 11:04:45 CEST 2009

Hello Matthew and all R-UseRs,

You video demo is very nice. This suggests various uses of svSocket that
I had not think about! The primary goal was to make it:
- flexible (I think it is clear from the demo),
- running in the background while not blocking the CLI (Rgui, R.app, or
the terminal, very clear from your demo too),
- stateful (yes, this is not in your demo, but a client can disconnect
and reconnect and got the same server state it had just before
disconnection, including possibly, partial command send to R server),

Not implemented yet, but planned for the future:
- binary transfer of R objects,
- connection to distant secured server using TSL (of course, distant
connection requires a lot of extra precautions because R is NOT an
Internet-secure language and environment, but that applies to all
client/server R solutions like Rserve or Rpad),
- mirroring of the commands, results and history on the different
clients to make a simple collaborative R session.

The primary use in SciViews is the communication engine between the
client (a code editor, or IDE program like Komodo Edit) and server (R).
Your demo gives an idea on the flexibility one got with it, including
the possibility to inspect and/or change objects while R is running a
long process. Your example of changing the plot in real-time without
interrupting the main server's process is very illustrative. So now,
imagine the debugging flexibility for long running tasks, and/or
combination of svSocket with browser()... But that's another story,
because svSocket does not work nicely with browser() for the moment.

All the best,

Philippe

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (