[R] problems with RODBC, sqlQuery

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Aug 20 21:44:34 CEST 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 12:49 PM, JoK LoQ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im trying to get a Oracle database to R, but I'm having problems
> with most
> of SQL sintax. Suppose that Im trying to bring a table "TABLE" with
> columns
> "COL1","COL2",.. from schema "SCHEMA". What am I doing wrong?
>
> library(RODBC)
> channel<-odbcConnect("xxx",uid="xxx",pwd="xxx")
> sqlQuery(channel, "select * from SCHEMA.TABLE")
> [it works fine]
> sqlQuery(channel, "select * from SCHEMA.TABLE where COL1>10")
> [returns
> [""[RODBC] ERROR: Could not SQLExecDirect"
> [" (...) :invalid table name"]

What versions of R and RODBC are you using and on what OS?

Try:

 > packageDescription("RODBC", fields = "Version")
[1] "1.2-6"

I have no problems on OSX 10.5.8 using RODBC 1.2-6 with queries such
as you are using against Oracle 11g running on an RHEL 5 server.

There may be some issues with RODBC version 1.3-0 which is the latest
on CRAN, if that is the version you are using.

Marc Schwartz