[R] mild and extreme outliers in boxplot

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 20 02:59:31 CEST 2009

On 20/08/2009, at 12:41 PM, S Ellison wrote:

>> The OP asked how to plot mild and extreme outliers
>> with distinct plotting symbols.  ...
>> In fact it can't be done!
>
> I hate to contradict (yeah, right! ;-) ) but actually the basic info
> needed for distinguishing different extents of outlier is available in
> the help files if you read through sufficiently to understand how
> boxplot and bxp.default operate.

	Sigh.  ***IT CAN'T BE DONE*** simply by specifying an argument
	to the boxplot() function, which was clearly the intent of
	the OP's question.

> Certainly bxp and boxplot do not do that by themselves, and it is, er,
> optimistic to expect a beginner to work out how to put it together
> with
> nothing but the help pages.

	Exactly.

> But boxplot does return the group stats and
> the identified outliers per group and with plot=FALSE no plot is
> generated, so it can be done with only modest ingenuity.

	Modest to you maybe.  A good day's work for me, and possibly
	a month's for a newbie.

	It is however wonderful how well designed R is, thus allowing
	this sort of modification/adaptation to be achieved very simply,
	provided that one is clever enough.

		cheers,

			Rolf Turner