[R] Several simple but hard tasks to do with R

Rakknar aliengenesis at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 23:51:42 CEST 2009

    Hello everybody. I've been learning R for about a month to do a
econometric study and now i'm stuck with some problems to make R do the
things I want. Here I give the list of things I wanna do from the most
simple to the more complex (for me of course):

1. Make a log. I've been using Stata and there i have a great tool to
register what the program do: the log file, wich it's a simple .txt file
where Stata writes every output it makes (not graphics of course). When I
wanted to make the same thing with R I started to use the function sink()
but it only register the results of the commands (summaries for example) and
not the commands itself, witch it's really uncomfortable because it's harder
to find out to witch command that results come from.

2. Saving objects in a .Rdata step by step. I want to save several
regressions of interest in one .Rdata file. I want to save this results one
by one. For example: make regression 1, save the result in the .Rdata file;
then make the regression 2 and save the results in the same .Rdata file. I
know I could make all the regressions and save the results all at once but
for the kind of study I want to make It would be much useful this way. I've
been using function save() but I only could save one result or all.

3. Conditional reading. I want to run regressions conditional to the
existence of a .Rdata file (the one I would be making in step two). The
condition would be something like
If "you find X.Rdata file" run regression with X.Rdata data else run
regression from the 0.

I hope I can find help here.

Thanks!!