[R] Confidence interval on parameters from optim function

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Aug 19 22:00:18 CEST 2009

If you f function is a likelihood (or better a log likelihood), then you can do profiling.  Take the parameter of interest and change it a small amount from the optimal value, rerun optim with this value fixed and let it optimize over everything else.  Repeat this for several values and see how the likelihood changes.  You can use this information to construct the confidence interval.  One way is by using the chi-square approximation to log likelihood differences.  There are already some functions that use this procedure and you could either use those or look at the code to see how to do it yourself.  The mle, confint, and profile functions in the stats4 package are one set.

If your f function is not a likelihood or log likelihood, then we will need more information on what you are trying to accomplish.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org