[R] Confidence interval on parameters from optim function

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Aug 19 16:19:43 CEST 2009

Hi Emmanuel,

You can obtain standard error estimate from the Hessian matrix evaluated at
the optimum as: sqrt(diag(solve(ans$hessian))), where `ans' is the object
returned by `optim'. However, `optim' does not return the Hessian matrix by
default.  So, you need to specify `hessian = TRUE' when you call `optim'.
There are two issues that I would think about:

1.  You need to pay attention to the standard regularity conditions that are
required in order for the confidence interval to be valid.  One important
condition is that the solution be in the interior of the parameter space.
Since you are using box-constraints, I would check to make sure that the
solution is not on the boundary.

2.  The Hessian returned by `optim' is a bit inaccurate.  Often, this is not
a big deal.  There are situations, however, where this matters, as you might
get an indefinite Hessian due to inaccuracy. So, I generally prefer to use
the `hessian' function in the "numDeriv" package.

Ravi.