[R] Performance measure for probabilistic predictions

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Aug 19 14:21:17 CEST 2009

Noah Silverman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using an SVM for predicting a model, but I'm most interested in the
> probability output.  This is easy enough to calculate.
>
> My challenge is how to measure the relative performance of the SVM for
> different settings/parameters/etc.
>
> An AUC curve comes to mind, but I'm NOT interested in predicting true vs
> false.  I am interested in finding the most accurate probability
> predictions possible.
>
> I've seen some literature where the probability range is cut into
> segments and then the predicted probability is compared to the actual.
> This looks nice, but I need a more tangible numeric measure.  One
> thought was a measure of "probability accuracy" for each range, but how
> to calculate this.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> -N

Noah,

This is a big area but I'm glad you are interested in probability
accuracy rather than the more frequently (mis)-used classification
accuracy.  There are many measures available.  For independent test
samples the val.prob function in the Design package provides many.

When making a calibration plot to demonstrate absolute prediction
accuracy, it is not a good idea to bin the predicted probabilities.
val.prob uses loess to produce a smooth calibration curve.

Frank