[R] postscript, options

e-letter inpost at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:08:36 CEST 2009

On 18/08/2009, Stefan Grosse <singularitaet at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:52:58 +0100 e-letter <inpost at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> EL> On 18/08/2009, Rodrigo Aluizio <r.aluizio at gmail.com> wrote:
> EL> > I'm not shure but I guess that you miss a " and putted it in the
> EL> > wrong place!
> EL> > Try this:
> EL> > postscript("/pathto/filename.eps",horizontal=FALSE,onefile=FALSE)
> EL> >
> EL> > Hope It helps.
> EL>
> EL> Thank you, that did help a little, but the eps file was faulty and I
> EL> could not open in either imagemagick or gimp. I found it easier and
> EL> quicker to copy the graph into gimp, save in png and use imagemagick
> EL> to convert to eps format.
>
> What an effort which also yields bad results regarding quality! EPS is
> vector oriented and I doubt that PNG to EPS gives nice results besides
> if you prefer it as such why not directly create a png using the png
> device?

I want eps for latex. Png not enabled in my installation of R.
Conversion to eps was good with imagemagick, poor with gimp.

> What do you mean with faulty? I suspect it was to large because you
> forgot the paper="special" option. Otherwise it creates an A4 plot.

The image was blank, on my screen a small window about 50 mm each side
(using imagemagick. In gimp, error dialogue window received, unable to
open file). This did not occur when I used gimp and imagemagick.

> postscript("/pathto/filename.eps",horizontal=FALSE,onefile=FALSE,paper="special")

This command created a small blank eps file.

> see
> ?grDevices::postscript

I tried that command, which shows content about double and triple
colon operators? Does not show anything about postscript?