[R] shading between two smoothed curves

Graves, Gregory ggraves at sfwmd.gov
Fri Aug 14 19:38:11 CEST 2009

Here is the solution for shading under a curve

attach(cars)  #example dataset
scatter.smooth(speed, dist,family = "gaussian",span = .3, xlim=c(3,25), type='n')  #plot a curve (smoothed line)
gg<-loess.smooth(speed,dist,family = "gaussian",span = .3)  #put coordinates of smoothed line into 'gg'
DF<-data.frame(gg) #convert gg into a dataframe; this dataframe has 50 rows
DF[51,]<-c(25,0)  #add a 51st row with the desired bottom right corner of the polygon under the curve
DF[52,]<-c(3,0)   #add a 52nd row with the desired bottom left corner of the polygon under the curve
polygon(c(DF), col="gray", border = "red")  # the shading

Here is NOT the solution for shading between 2 curves [I am going to use a crayon].

attach(cars)
#put 2 curves on the graph
scatter.smooth(speed, dist+25,family = "gaussian",span = .3,xlim=c(3,25),type='n',ylim=c(0,120))
par(new=T)
scatter.smooth(speed, dist-5,family = "gaussian",span = .3,xlim=c(3,25),type='n',ylim=c(0,120))
#get the xy coords of the 2 curves
gg1<-loess.smooth(speed,dist+25,family = "gaussian",span = .3)
gg2<-loess.smooth(speed,dist-5,family = "gaussian",span = .3)
#stick the xy's into a dataframe and combine the 2 dataframes
DF1<-data.frame(gg1)
DF2<-data.frame(gg2)
DFnew<-do.call("rbind", list(DF1, DF2))
#Arrrgh
polygon(c(DFnew), col="gray", border = "red")

Gregory A. Graves
Lead Scientist
Everglades REstoration COoordination and VERification (RECOVER)
Watershed Division
South Florida Water Management District
Phones:  DESK: 561 / 682 - 2429
             CELL:  561 / 719 - 8157