[R] Coding problem: How can I extract substring of function call within the function

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 14 09:06:55 CEST 2009

    > As I said in my original email, I'm sure that many of
    > you will doubt the wisdom of what I'm trying to do --
    > and I certainly share some of your misgivings. I have
    > misgivings too about the use of "training wheels" for
    > bicycles, but they are clearly useful for some people,
    > and, in this instance, I think that smoothing students
    > passage over what I have seen to be genuine stumbling
    > blocks for them outweighs the drawbacks.

Very good!  I like the comparison with  "training wheels"...
Having been both a dad with wonderful boys "on training wheels"
and a longtime teacher of S and R (and statistics).

One property of the bike on training wheels (=: TW) is that every child,
probably even before they first mount a bike with TWs,
knows that the training wheels are a substitute for the kid's
not-yet perfect own balance, and whenever they are on their TW
bike, they at least subconsciously are aware that they are in
fact training for the "real" bicycle experience.

If we translate this to the teaching of R,
I come -- very strongly, indeed -- to the same conclusion as Gabor,
that you should call your functions differently, e.g. 'Mean'
or 'mean2' {{or ;-)  'meanGA', the Georgia version of mean ;-)}}
so the training wheels remain visible to your students.

Best regards,
Martin Maechler,  ETH Zurich