[R] Need Advice: Considering Converting a Package from S3 to S4 -- reprise

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Aug 13 20:49:04 CEST 2009

I read the list in digest form which sometimes makes me late to respond.

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
 In all fairness, it should probably be noted that quite a few people
swear BY S4 in addition to those who swear AT it.

  Lest I give the impression of only dislike -- the coxme package (major
rewrite nearly done, I'm now testing) depends heavily on the bdsmatrix
package which implements a very particular subset of sparse matrix
methods.  Coxme uses S3 classes, bdsmatrix use S4 classes, and I think I
made the right decision in both cases.

  I'm glad people found the C++ reference enjoyable.
     Terry T.