[R] C-statistic comparison with partially paired datasets

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Aug 13 14:00:49 CEST 2009

Hanneke Wijnhoven wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thank you for your quick response!
>
> I want to compare the discriminative capacity of different
> anthropometric measures in predicting mortality, focussing on the "thin"
> site of these measures.
> Since these associations are not linear (U shaped for BMI and inversily
> J-shaped for mid-upper arm circumference) and I do not want to include
> the prediction by "obesity", I am using all values below the median of
> each separate measure to calculate a C-statistic (below the median, the
> association is approximately linear).
> As a result, some different and some overlapping cases are included.
> I understand your point though.
>
> Any suggestion is welcome.
>
> Hanneke

Subsetting the data will make the two task difficulties unequal, I fear.
  This would make it difficult to compare predictive discrimination indexes.

I think it would be better to fit splines to the continuous predictors,
to allow for a unified analysis over the whole range.  Then everything
is paired.

Frank