[R] Simulating points from GLM corresponding to new x-values

Jacob Nabe-Nielsen jacobnabe at me.com
Wed Aug 12 21:51:31 CEST 2009

Hi Cliff -- thanks for the suggestion.

I tried extracting the predicted mean and standard error using
predict(). Afterwards I simulated the dependent variable using
rnorm(), with mean and standard deviation taken from the predict()
function (sd = sqrt(n)*se). The points obtained this way were
scattered far too much (compared to points obtained with simulate())
-- I am not quite sure why.

Unfortunately the documentation of the simulate() function does not
provide much information about how it is implemented, which makes it
difficult to judge which method is best (predict() or simulate(), and
it is also unclear whether simulate() can be applied to glms (with
family=gaussian or binomial).

Any suggestions for how to proceed?

Jacob