[R] problem loading ncdf library on MAC

Wed Aug 12 20:55:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Aug 12, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Dan Kelley wrote:

> I think ncdf is broken now, and so is Rnetcdf.  I can't build from
> source,
> either.  If I find a solution, I'll post it here.  FYI, I have an
> intel-based Mac running the latest OS and with R 2.9.1

While I haven't compiled it myself, it seems that Rnetcdf requires a
library that you probably don't have installed. Check out it's build
report:

http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macosx-ix86/RNetCDF-00install.html

Probably it's looking for the udunits (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/
  (?)) library and you don't have it.

I just tried to compile ncdf on my machine, and it also failed ..
looks like you need netcdf.h. Just look at the status/reporting that
building the package gives:

checking netcdf.h usability... no
checking netcdf.h presence... no
checking for netcdf.h... no
checking /usr/local/include/netcdf.h usability... no
checking /usr/local/include/netcdf.h presence... no
checking for /usr/local/include/netcdf.h... no
checking /usr/include/netcdf.h usability... no
checking /usr/include/netcdf.h presence... no

I guess you just need to get the required libs and try again.

Or are you getting different errors?

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou