[R] linear model: Test difference between coefficients and given values (t.test?)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Sun Aug 9 09:37:32 CEST 2009

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Katharina May wrote:

> Thanks to somebody I got the hint to use offset for the purpose of
> validating if there's
> a difference between the intercept and slope of a model and some
> provided values for
> the coefficients intercept and slope.

You could also use a Wald test for a linear hypothesis which does not
require refitting of the data under the null hypothesis. Suppose you've
got the regression
   fm <- lm(dist ~ speed, data = cars)
and then want to test the null hypothesis that
   (Intercept) = -10
   speed = 4
Then you can do
   library("car")
   linear.hypothesis(fm, c("(Intercept) = -10", "speed = 4"))
which will give you an ANOVA-like output.

Conceptually, this approach should also be possible for models with random
effects but I don't think that linear.hypothesis() works out of the box
for this.