[R] configure issue

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Aug 8 21:29:19 CEST 2009

Erin,

On 8 August 2009 at 13:25, Erin Hodgess wrote:
| Dear R People:
|
| I am installing R from source into Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope. (R-2.9.1)
|
| When I do the configure, I get the following:

We need _reproducible examples_.

Unless you show us how you called configure, we cannot really help you.

| R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu
|
|   Source directory:          .
|   Installation directory:    /usr/local
|
|   C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
|   Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2
|
|   C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
|   Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
|   Obj-C compiler:
|
|   Interfaces supported:
|   External libraries:        readline
|   Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, iconv, MBCS, NLS
|   Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling, Java
|
|   Recommended packages:      yes
|

| My concern is with the Interfaces supported.  I should have Tcltk and png there.
|
| How do I get those, please?
|
| I installed tclx8.4 and put it into the Path.

Consider visiting http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu for directions
about installing a _precompiled version that includes tcl/tk and png_.  This
will also get you upgrades to future versions, all at zero effort and zero
cost. Works for me -- I use these on machines at work and home.

Still, if you'd rather insist on doing it yourself, please read any one of these

   - the R Admin / Installation manual

   - the r-help archives

   - the r-sig-debian archives for Debian/Ubuntu questions.

This has been asked -- and answered -- a (rather large) number of times over.

Lastly, the diff.gz to the Debian / Ubuntu package is also public and shows
you exactly how we call configure to provide the Debian -- and CRAN-mirrored
Ubuntu -- packages.

Hth, Dirk