[R] Seeing negative numbers to zero

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 00:24:10 CEST 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 4:29 PM, DebbieMB wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am also new to R and I have a related question.  I am trying to set
> negative values in a single column of a dataframe to zero and I
> can't seem
> to do it.
>
> I have tried:
> KN1<-subset(KN,select=c(5))
> # Here I am selecting the column of the dataframe KN1 and assigning
> it the
> name KN2 - this step works
> KN2<-ifelse(KN1<=0,0,KN1)
> # Here I am trying to set negative numbers to zero and leave all other
> numbers the same - this doesn't work

KN1 is probably still a dataframe (albeit with only one column)  and
you really meant to be working on that column  instead of the whole
dataframey-listy-thing with all of its attached attributes and
classes. You need to refer to the name of the column, let's say its
"col1"

KN2 <- ifelse(KN1$col1<=0,0,KN1$col1)