[R] problem installing cairo on freebsd

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Thu Aug 6 19:33:04 CEST 2009

Late, but hopefully not too late ...

Ben,

I had same problem with Cairo-1.4-5 on FreeBSD CURRENT-8.0 (i386). On of
the authors of Cairo (thanks to Simon Urbanek) reminded me to use gmake
instead of make. So in my case I set the environment variable
temporarily like this (in tcsh):

setenv MAKE gmake
R CMD INSTALL Cairo-1.4-5.tar.gz
unsetenv MAKE