[R] Re move all punctuations except commas

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:20:49 CEST 2009

Here is a second solution that may be closer to
what you were thinking of in terms of structure:

library(gsubfn)
gsubfn("[[:punct:]]", ~ sub("[^,]", "", x), string)

This matches each punctuation character and then
removes any non-commas by applying the
function function(x)sub("[^,]", "", x)

gsubfn is just like gsub except the replacement
string can be a replacement function and one
can abbreviate the function using a formula
notation as shown.

See http://gsubfn.googlecode.com