[R] creating MS Access query objects using RODBC

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Aug 6 10:19:59 CEST 2009

Tim Calkins-2 wrote:

> I'm trying to use R to create an MS Access query object. In particular, I
> would like to pass a given sql statement to a variety of Access files and
> have that sql statement saved as an Access Query in each db. Is this
> possible using R?
>
> I'm aware that I could use RODBC sqlQuery and write sql to make a table or
> that I could run the sql, extract it to R, and then use sqlSave to save
> the
> dataframe as a table in the db.

To my knowledge, this is not possible using RODBC, because ODBC is the least
common denominator for many databases, and adding a query (~"view") to
Access is not within that standard.

It should be possible with COM, but I believe it will only work if you have
Access installed, not with mdb files alone.

Dieter