[R] Counting things

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Aug 5 19:11:43 CEST 2009

sum(logicalVector) returns the number of TRUEs in logicalVector,
because it converts TRUE to 1 and FALSE to 0 before doing the sum.
You will have to use na.rm=TRUE if there are NA's (missing values)
in logical vector.  Hence you get compute 1a with
        sum(probabilities>x)
mean(probabilities>x) will give the proportion of times probabilities>x
is
TRUE. table(probabilities>x) will give a count of both the FALSEs and
TRUEs.

>      1b) Number of predictions with probability greater than
>           x that are  really true

        sum(probabilities>x & label=="T")
(I'm guessing that label is a character or factor vector with values
"T" and "F".)

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software Inc - Spotfire Division
wdunlap tibco.com